Wireless Network problems

ajayhomer 23:24 19 Jun 06

I have a BTVoyager 2091 wireless router, working fine with the host pc connected by usb. My xbox 360 uses the ethernet connection with no problems at all.
Now, I have a fairly old laptop with a Belkin wireless network pcmcia card.
I have the configuration details for the router; network name, network key, authentication type, data encryption type etc., and all has been entered correctly into the Belkin wireless utility setup.
The connection is set up as shared on the main pc.

However the laptop cannot connect to the host pc's network.

To maybe confuse things a little: the host pc is running XP, the laptop is running win98se. Now although I realise this makes it more complicated, I have gotten a similar situation to work: connecting both together through a USB cable; by making a Netsetup floppy.

To make things more confusing (to me anyway):

- my son has a PSP and a DS, both find and connect to the router just fine thank you, and use the net connection

- The router manager on the host pc can see the "wireless client" e.g. the laptop and list it's MAC address, and plot it's online time. The Wireless utility on the laptop can see and connect to the router. But no other software; BT yahoo setup software, Netsetup.exe, etc., etc. can find the network and get the two "talking."

Does anyone know if this is a "known" problem with wireless networking and win98? Especially when trying it between XP and 98?

(My sister had the same problem, although her laptop card was a BT one not belkin, however she gave up - I'm not! )

Thanks again to anyone who reads and helps.

Strawballs 00:14 20 Jun 06

you might get a better responce if you use the networking forum, that is where the networking speciallists will look first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…