Wireless Network Problem

SteevScotland 15:15 04 Jun 04

I bought a belkin 11g networking card so that I can connect wirelessly to the 11b card in my laptop. However I cannot get the cards to "see" each other. the icon for them in windows has a red cross over it and it says wireless connection unavailable?

Any ideas how to get them talking? I have no real Idea where to start as I've never set up a wireless network before.

Cheers S

byfordr 16:15 04 Jun 04

Although wireless b should in theory be compatible with wireless g. In practise it isn't always the case. Particularly when using kit from different manufacturers.

By the sounds of it your are trying to set up a "adhoc" wireless network. On most routers you have the option of selecting what frequency to use. Do you have this option on the wireless g card? (May be under the set up disk interface) I don't think wireless b is compatible with g. Although on g you can select b.

Have you tried to access any other wireless networks?

If nothing else this will bump to the top

R

SteevScotland 00:28 06 Jun 04

Thanks I was lead to believe b and g were back wards compatible. My g card says it is compatible with b networks. I'll look at the manual to see about switching modes.

I have connected to other networks using the b card in the laptop which by the way is an Intel card.

Cheers S

TTP 00:48 06 Jun 04

Is b the card 'installed' in device manager?Ive currently diasabled my cable net card in dev man so it doesnt keep showing in the system tray.

SteevScotland 00:50 06 Jun 04

b is installed in device manager in the laptop and the same for the g card in the desktop.

cheers S

SteevScotland 20:36 06 Jun 04

i have read the manual for the g card and there doesn't seem to be any way to switch the card between b and g.

Cheers S

TTP 18:58 07 Jun 04

click here
click here 'tomandjerry'
for possible solutions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now