Wireless network with Onetel

malarky 21:43 20 Dec 05

I know nothing about networking but have been cajoled into installing a wireless network at home. We have one PC running XP Pro, one running 98SE and will soon have a laptop running XP Home. We get broadband from Onetel. I bought all the bits I thought I needed ( 3COM 11g wireless router, USB wireless adaptor etc). When reading the instructions for the router I am totally flummoxed! I normally connect through a Speedtouch ADSL modem which has been fine. Now that I want to connect through the 3COM 11g wireless router I don’t know what to do. I have had a look at various sites and it all seems so easy. I do remember when installing Onetel that it made references to networking and seemed to be disabling functions. Can anyone offer any help or guidance please.

woodchip 21:58 20 Dec 05

Do you need to Network? you do not need if you only want to connect to the net with all three comps.
Hears how with 3Com. First you should connect both computers by Ethernet cables if they are near together, if not connect one with the cables supplied, Now start IE and type in the address bar click here hear I have put "Space hear" so it will not be changed in PCA forum to a click hear this should not be in the address bar. then press enter it will bring up the setup page type admin press enter and you are into the setup page. you have then got to enter your IP details like User Name and Password in appropriate boxes. See how you get on first with the above.

malarky 17:40 26 Dec 05

Hi Woodchip,
I want to network so that we can share files and printer, as well as an internet connection. As I said, I have no networking experience and I am under pressure now that my wife has her shiny new laptop christmas present! I want a wireless setup so that we don't have a lot of cables routed between rooms. I don't know how to set up the computers and I was hoping that someone would be able to give me explicit instructions as to how to go about it.

Stuartli 18:23 26 Dec 05

Try reading up XP's Help and Support's Networking and the Web section to get an idea of what is required first.

It also details about configuring to allow sharing of printers, files etc.

It is, after all, why the comprehensive Help and Support facility is provided by MS - the same applies to all its programs, applications etc.

malarky 22:25 26 Dec 05

I managed to get to the page where it asked for the "admin" password but when I entered that I got a dialog box to "connect" or "work offline". I don't know what to do now as I cannot get access to the setup pages that I think I should have. I tried pressing the "reset" button as advised on the setup disk but I still have the same response. Faulty unit?

woodchip 22:33 26 Dec 05

What does it do if you choose?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…