Wireless Network with NTL

JCcadman 15:51 02 Oct 04

I would like to network two desk top PC's, both running Windows XP, and a lap top that is currently on order. I understand a little about the fact that you have to have a router, and also the necessary 'receivers' in the PC's. The lap top will already have an 802.11g card installed.

My problem is that I can't get Broadband via my BT line as I'm apparently in their 'amber' range and cannot be gauranteed a service!!! I now have to plump for NTL, my local cable network.

The NTL connection is down in the front room, behind the TV. I don't want wires running all over the house, and so I was wandering if anyone knew whether it is possible to connect the router direct to the cable box and run the three computers completely wireless, or does the router have to be plugged into one of the PC's to work.

Hope someone can help, as I've looked at several of the questions put, and also the links that have been added to them.

mgmcc 17:10 02 Oct 04

I don't have cable TV, only cable broadband, but I understand that if you have TV the broadband connection comes from the set-top box instead of having to have a separate cable modem.

That being the case, you can connect a wireless router to the broadband connection and run all three PCs wirelessly. Initially you may have to connect a PC to the router with an ethernet cable to get it set up, but thereafter the connections can all be wireless.

JCcadman 20:32 02 Oct 04

Many Thanks,

By then I should have the lap top up and running so that'll be easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…