Wireless Network - not working properly & security

cedric24 22:26 29 Nov 07

Despite my earlier posting (on my previous thread) that my Lynksys system was all up and running I now have a problem.

Issue 1: Desktop wired to router (which is connected to Virgin Media set top box) and internet connection is fine. My laptop recognises the network set up and claims that it is connected. Every time I open the Internet Explorer (on the laptop) it says 'the website cannot be displayed' (same for other websites). The strange thing is our student in the house has connected his laptop to the network and it's all fine for him.

Issue 2: How do transform my new network into a secured one?

Kemistri 22:39 29 Nov 07

1) Obvious stuff first - have you created the necessary permissions for your LAN in the clients' firewalls (or have the firewalls done this automatically)? Has it been handled correctly or are those firewalls being too strict? Unload them, then try again.

2) Use WPA or WPA2 and a long obscure key of letters, numbers, and symbols. Nothing less than that.

Ashrich 18:13 30 Nov 07

Are you getting an IP address from the router ? Go to ...start/run , type into the run box " cmd " without the quotes , and press enter , then type in ( again without quotes ) " ipconfig/all " press enter again , then cut and paste the results back here .

Ashley

Kemistri 16:46 03 Dec 07

Got any further?

cedric24 22:35 03 Dec 07

Only 50/50. The problem sorted itself out without me doing much. My outlook is not able to download emails though.
Also, regarding the security I don't know where to choose WPA or WPA2 etc.

Kemistri 22:47 03 Dec 07

Encryption is activated in the router's config screen over an Ethernet connection (sure, you can log in over a wireless connection, but avoid trying to change settings that will change or break that connection.... Many routers will react badly to it). Then re-connect any wireless clients (which must have been disconnected prior to making this change) and enter the key, which you should copy/paste from a text file for convenience and error-avoidance.

Kemistri 22:48 03 Dec 07

All routers have PDF manuals (either supplied or available online), so find yours and refer to it if needed.

cedric24 22:01 04 Dec 07

Thanks for your response. Will sort it tomorrow.

Why can I send emails via the router but receive them? I keep getting the following error message:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

The email account worked just fine be fore I connected the desktop to the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac