Wireless network not connecting

cheekybeatle 19:20 01 Apr 06

Installed netgear DG835G and netgear adaptor WG111v2, windows XP, AOL. All hardware loaded ok, but when I go to network connections there is a large red cross and the message that it is not connected, underneath the red cross I can see my wireless connection. I have followed all the user guides and down loaded latest drivers, but I still cant seem to switch on the network connection. I've spent hours trying to find out how to switch this on.

ade.h 20:33 01 Apr 06

Assuming that you have...

1) Not enabled WPA yet (keep it off for now).
2) That you are running a good quality 3rd party software firewall instead of the Windows Firewall.
3) That you have set a unique SSID in the router config.

Double-click on your WLAN icon in the Notification Area. On the new screen, select "Refresh Network List". Does yours appear?

Crucial to this is whether you are running that adapter in software-controlled mode or driver-only (Windows controlled). You say that you have "loaded the hardware" but not how it was installed.

cheekybeatle 09:40 02 Apr 06

1) I dont know what WPA is
2) I have a good firewall and have windows firewall disconnected
3) Yes I have an SSID
When I refresh network the screen says that it cannot configure this wireless connection. When I use the Netgear smart wizard it cannot find a network.

InXP 19:00 02 Apr 06

Start from the beginning. I presume a PC is connected to the modem/router by network cable; then you have a laptop or second PC with the wireless adaptor.

I'm not familiar with Netgear - mine's a Belkin but same princples apply.

First question, have you given your network a name? Windows XP has a network set up wizard and you will be asked for a network name. Second question, when you turn on the laptop or 2nd PC, does it search for available networks? If so, is your network shown with a padlock (i.e security protected - WPA or WEP)? If the answer is yes, then you must allow the second PC access to your network, by entering the security key (WEP or WPA).

mrsjock 18:00 06 Apr 06

click here

If you go to the above netgear support you will see the amount of people having problems with WG111 adaptor
I have it and would not recommend it
the router DG 834 is great

ade.h 18:24 06 Apr 06

When you tick a thread as resolved, could you give us some feedback about how it was resolved?

It helps us if we know what worked, and other novices with the same issue will benefit, too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…