Wireless Network Nightmare

Stuart 510 21:08 10 Apr 05

I have been attempting to install a wirless network between Laptop and Desktop PC, the laptop has wireless PCMCIA card the desktop a hard wired Network PCI card, the laptop is OK, appears on network etc, it can also see the desktop PC, but the desktop PC cannot see laptop, but it will sent and recieve ping using command prompt, but the laptop cannot do the same. All the cards are installed OK and leads are tested OK. I am all out of ideas - any theories?

igk 00:33 12 Apr 05

If you are using a firewall (and I hope you are) it sounds as though it needs to be setup so that it can "see" the laptop,the windows xp firewall is pretty useless even in SP2, I use Zone Alarm from click here (the free version)and on my home network of 4 pc's (1 wired and 3 wireless)I have Zone Alarm on all 4,but you must make sure that you put in the other pc's IP address into the "trusted zone" in your case the IP address of your desktop must be in the trusted zone of your laptop and viceversa.hth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…