Wireless network with linux

Daniel S 09:21 31 Aug 08

Hi,

I have recently installed ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition Linux on to my laptop. My laptop is a HP Compaq nx9005 Here is a list to the specifications and software downloads. click here Now, All of the drivers are for windows, The problem is than on Linux everything works except the wireless network adapter will not find any wireless networks. And the track pad works but not correctly. So please could somebody advise me on where i can get drivers for Linux or how i can get them working.

Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:56 31 Aug 08
  LastChip 16:03 31 Aug 08

click here

If you're new to Linux, it's not the easiest thing in the world to get to grips with.

Essentially, it's one of the very rare occasions you use a Windows driver in Linux. But it cannot be used natively. You need a wrapper, that fools the Windows driver into believing it's in a Windows environment.

First, you need to check you have ndiswrapper installed. Go to your package manager and see it it's installed, if not, install it.

Then you need to know which Windows driver your machine uses. This is then installed within ndiswrapper.

Finally, you need to disable the default driver by black listing it.

This is unfortunately, a bit of a "chicken and egg situation. If you don't have Internet connection on the machine, it makes it far more difficult to achieve the desired result. But if you have access to a wired connection, Ubuntu should go straight on. You maybe also able to use a USB stick to transfer the required files.

Finally, this is yet another example of manufacturers not getting ahead of the game and supplying native Linux drivers. With the Asus Eee becoming such a big hit, how much longer can they afford to ignore this?

Ronnie268 21:32 05 Sep 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…