wireless network and internet connection sharing

lonemascot 23:49 04 May 06

what hardware will i need to wirelessly connect 2 computers together. i want to share an internet connection without having to have both computers on. i have a broadband modem (btinternet voyager)
one of the computers already has a wireless network card.

thanks

Tim1964 00:01 05 May 06

As you don't want to have to have both PCs on then you will need a wireless router and a wireless adapter (USB dongle for e.g.) Your modem MUST have an ethernet port to connect to the router. If not then you will need to buy a modem-router (all in the one unit) and keep the original as a spare or sell it to recoup the cost. Modem routers are not much more expensive than modems on there own. The big names (Linksys/Belkin/Netgear etc) are now selling router and adapter packages now for around £40.

lonemascot 00:25 05 May 06

ah great cheers. can u recommend a particular model. i need to connect a computer between floors on my house

Strawballs 01:17 05 May 06

click here For example

kdt 09:14 05 May 06

i use laptop & pc using netgear dg384g

lonemascot 22:57 08 May 06

saw this on dabs
click here
can i connect my downstairs pc to this via ethernet and connect my upstairs pc to it wirelessly?

this unit should allow me access to the internet from either pc without both being on right?

lonemascot 23:00 08 May 06

whats the difference between ADSL and DSL/Cable?

mgmcc 09:28 09 May 06

A "Cable/DSL" router should normally only be used with Cable broadband - NTL/Telewest. Without going into the technicalities, using a separate ethernet ADSL modem can be *extremely* problematical.

For ADSL delivered via the phone line, you should get a combined "Wireless Router & ADSL Modem", which replaces your USB modem. The one you link to on Dabs is *NOT* suitable. You want something like the Linksys WAG54GS or the router that 'Strawballs' linked to.

<<< can i connect my downstairs pc to this via ethernet and connect my upstairs pc to it wirelessly? >>>

Yes, this is a fairly common setup - PC "wired" and laptop or other remote PC "wireless".

<<< this unit should allow me access to the internet from either pc without both being on right? >>>

Correct. When using a router, neither PC is dependent on the other for internet access. Both get access over the LAN from the router and it is the ROUTER, not one of the PCs, which establishes the connection to the ISP. You DON'T try to connect to the internet from the PC, that's the router's function.

lonemascot 23:04 09 May 06

I appreciate your help but i can only really afford this:
click here
would this do the same job as the Linksys WAG54GS?

ade.h 23:37 09 May 06

Yes, that would be a good choice.

lonemascot 23:41 09 May 06

ok thanks ppl im gonna buy it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…