wireless network help

nate54216 13:10 19 Feb 06

Hi there

I was wondering if someone could tell me a list of exactly what I need to set up a wireless network. I have 2 desktops which are wifi enabled and I have a laptop which is not but I have just bought a Belkin Wifi card to enable this. Does a wireless router kit come with everything I need or are there hidden extras.

Harpur 13:33 19 Feb 06

the belkin router comes in two ways. a modem/router where there is a modem built in. this is useful if the other users want to access the internet without having to turn on the main computer. you can attatch this to the main phone point if you wish but it needs to be configures at the pc first. personally i have mine hardwired to my main computer and my daughters can access any time they from their room.

the second is just a router, which will connect all the computers

nate54216 13:46 19 Feb 06

Thanks harpur

mgmcc 14:05 19 Feb 06

<<< the second is just a router, which will connect all the computers >>>

Networking computers without internet access is done with a Network Switch or Hub, not a router.

There are two distinct types of router:

1) Combined "Router & ADSL Modem" which is used in conjunction with ADSL broadband delivered via the phone line.

2) Stand-alone router, usually described as a "Cable/DSL" router, which is used with Cable broadband (NTL or Telewest). Theoretically it can be used in conjunction with a separate ADSL Modem that supports an ethernet connection but, because ADSL in the UK uses PPPoA protocol and Cable/DSL routers only support PPPoE, setting up this way can be extremely problematical.

Harpur 14:32 19 Feb 06

that was why i bought a modem/router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…