Wireless Network Help

iceman_2112 15:01 22 Jun 05

I have recently bought a Wireless-G ADSL Gateway (WAG54G) with 2 Wireless-G USB Network Adapters (WUSB54G).

I don't have the internet at home and am not currently wanting to get online either.

I think that I might be in an ADSL area, but I don't want to pay to get an ADSL activated line just yet.

All I want to do is set up a secure home network.

What should I do?

Thank you for your help.

Taff36 08:00 23 Jun 05

You don`t say how many computers you want to connect to your wireless network and we may need to know which operating systems each uses. Anyway it should be surprisingly painless. If you look at the supplied manual (or click here) go to the end of Chapter 4 - page 11 and read on through chapter five.

Note: You probably need to set up one computer first with the network adapter. Install the software on the supplied disk and then connect the adapter.

Basically you switch on the router and your computer. Make sure the lights for LAN are on. Check that the computer adapter has found and connected to the router, this will be done throgh the little utility icon in your taskbar. Double click it and connect to the router if it hasn`t done so automatically. Open Internet Explorer and type in http:// 192.168.1.1 (Without the space I`ve put in after //. You now follow Chapter 5. Post back if you get stuck.

mgmcc 08:55 23 Jun 05

I'm not quite sure why you have bought a Wireless ADSL Modem/Router whose function is to connect to an ADSL broadband service and "route" internet traffic to the appropriate networked computers.

You can network two PCs wirelessly for File/Printer sharing by installing a WiFi adapter in each and setting up an "Ad Hoc" wireless network with no additional kit required.

De Marcus 15:01 23 Jun 05

As mgmcc has said already, to network the two pc's you only need the two wireless adapters, the router you've bought is pretty much a waste of money considering you not keen on getting the internet connected just yet, if you've plans in the near future of getting your line 'activated' keep hold of the router, otherwise I'd be inclined to take it back and spend my refund cash down the pub (beer garden) on this glorious sunny day.

Taff36 00:43 03 Jul 05

Any Luck iceman or has this thread gone cold too?

iceman_2112 15:24 04 Jul 05

Yes thanks Taff and thank you all, my problem has been sorted out now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…