Wireless network - getting started

domtheboy 16:36 25 Nov 04

Hi all

I’m interested in setting up a home wireless network, the purpose of which is to share an Internet connection and also files if possible. I was wondering if a kind soul could answer two questions for me:

A) Looking at the equipment I have, is setting up a network possible ?

B) What additional equipment will I require ?

The circumstances are as follows:

The two PCs in question are in separate bedrooms upstairs in a house. They are less than 15 feet from one another. I’ll call them PCs A and B. PC A is brand new (a Mesh Small Form Factor PC less than 2 weeks old) running Windows XP Home SP2, PC B is an older IBM Aptiva (which is running Windows 98 with all available patches).

At present, PC B has a broadband connection received by an external USB modem. Ideally we want the broadband connection to come into PC A, with the connection being available to PC B. I know that PC A has a network card, but I don’t think PC B does. Really what I’m after is a “starter for 10” as to what I’ll need to check / change / buy – can anyone out there help ? I realise there may be lots of similar queries already posted, but rather than spend ages reading through advice that may or may not be relevant I preferred to post describing my circumstances.

Thanks very much in advance

Dom

Jeffers22 17:21 25 Nov 04

There is more than one way to do this - inevitably!! How you do it will depend on your budget.
1. You will need a wireless network card for each machine (PCI) and internet connection sharing enabled
2. Same equipment, but with a wireless modem / router that connects to one of the PCs via ethernet. This overcomes the need for the Pc with the BB connection to be on when you want the net on the other PC. Better, but more expensive. Also, have you got a spare slot in the SFF Mesh PC? If not, route 1. is necessary unless it also has a PCMCIA slot into which you could stick a wireless LAN card. Often come bundled with the modem/raouter/wireless access point.

domtheboy 13:02 26 Nov 04

Jeffers 22 - thanks for your reply. I think that the second option sounds like the best one, simply because PC A has an ethernet connection (but no room to add a network card), whereas PC B doesn't have a network card or an ethernet connection. So it sounds like I will need one router and one wireless network card to get things moving then ?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 13:43 26 Nov 04

I have just done my own wireless network set up with very similar circumstances to yours. We bought a Netgear wireless Router and a Netgear Wireless USB adaptor for the second PC. Sharing broadband works ok so far. Any help needed post back.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 20:15 08 Dec 04

How's it going?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 22:51 25 Dec 04

Please tick if resolved

Forum Editor 01:32 26 Dec 04

in your particular circumstances would be to buy a wireless router with built-in modem and obtain a couple of USB wireless adapters - always assuming that you have a spare USB port on each machine. These adapters are inexpensive, very easy to install, and work well. You simply install the software, plug them in, and away you go. In fact you don't even need to buy a new wireless adapter for PC 'A' if you don't want to. It already has an ethernet network card, and you could use that as a wired connection from the router (which will have ethernet ports as standard)instead of forking out for a USB adapter.
The important thing to remember with both the router and the USB wireless adapter is that you MUST install the software first - before you plug anything in. When setting up the router you'll need to temporarily connect it to the ethernet port on Machine 'A', but you can disconnect it once the set up is complete - unless you're opting for a wired connection between that machine and the router. In that cased you leave the cable connected. The cable is supplied with the router by the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…