Wireless network with fixed wire network

JoJoh 17:23 05 Oct 04

I currently run a fixed wire network in my office. I need to install a new computer in an area where there is not a network socket. Am I able to add a wireless netowrk onto my fixed network? Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks

JoJoh

mgmcc 18:48 05 Oct 04

Yes, you need to plug a "Wireless Access Point" into your wired network and this will allow PCs with wireless network adapters to connect to the existing network.

Bris 19:03 05 Oct 04

Just a small point, when buying wireless equipment its best to go for equipment from the same manufacturer, mixing a hub from one manufacturer with a card from another is fraught with danger because, although they are supposed to operate to the same standards, manufacturers often have their own interpretation of the standards.

JoJoh 09:23 06 Oct 04

Thanks for your reply. I am slightly confused. Am I correct in saying that I can fix a wireless access point into any of my network points? Then the computer with the wireless connection will pick it up?

mgmcc 10:51 06 Oct 04

<<< Am I correct in saying that I can fix a wireless access point into any of my network points? Then the computer with the wireless connection will pick it up? >>>

Yes, that's how it should work. You may have to install software in a PC in order to be able to configure the Wireless Access Point but, in general, just think of it like plugging in another network cable except the bit between it and the PC happens to be "wireless".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…