Wireless network disconnects on XP

HauxtonPhil 18:34 21 Jun 04

I have an ADSL wireless router which works very nicely, with one PC wired ethernet and two PCs with wireless adaptors. I have now bought one of those little usb adaptors that look like a pen drive, and that works nicely too - but not on a machine running XP. All settings exactly the same as on Win 98 (as far as I can tell). On power up, it works perfectly, accesses the web, and files on other machines - then disconnects! Things like the encryption etc must be OK otherwise it wouldn't work at all. Anyone any ideas or experience on this. I've even tried sticking it to a metal beer mug of ice in case its a temperature thing - but just the same.

ARJP 18:57 21 Jun 04

Had the same issue, see recent post today.

The router etc works perfectly on one machine, until you try to connect through it to another. if this is the case, then its the Antivirus software that is blocking packets.

Disable the Autoprotect and try that. I have my email scanning on auto, but not the PC.

The USB Pen drive, if you are using an extention cable that also sometimes needs its own drivers for some bizaar reason, you can get a universal one from Winfiles.com

HauxtonPhil 19:09 21 Jun 04

Thanks for teh response, I'll try disabling Sophos! Didn't understand what you meant about driver for extensionlead (which I am using on usb socket).

HauxtonPhil 12:39 22 Jun 04

Just to finish this thread off - I resolved the problem by swapping the adaptors around - Thomson Speedtouch works perfectly on the XP machine and the 'pen drive' one works perfectly on the win98 machines - so immediate problem solved. I guess the cheap and cheerful pen drive is just not up to the job with XP. Thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…