Wireless network, dial-up internet-what do I need?

scotty 16:44 21 Feb 05

I would like to set up a home wireless network. I use dial-up to access the internet. I also want the ability to connect pcs by ethernet connection.

I have been looking at what is available and have found masses of information for suitable hardware if I use a broadband (both for cable and ADSL). Can anyone explain what is required for a wireless network with dial-up internet access, or point me to sites which might help?

Also, I have started dabbling with linux. Are there any difficulties I should be aware of in the event I swap over to linux?

spikeychris 19:36 21 Feb 05

Without getting involved with Linux, dial up and broadband are irrelevant when it comes to sharing an Internet connection. Don't forget - networking via WIFI is the same as networking via a wired connection...its just different.

scotty 22:47 21 Feb 05

Sorry spikey, re-reading my post I don't think I made myself clear. There are plenty of boxes available that offer Wifi and a 4 port ethernet. These are either for cable modems or ADSL modems. What I cannot find are details of what is required if I use a good old fashioned dial-up. One possibility I can see is to continue using the pc with the dial-up connection and use ICS. In this case I would only be using the wifi box for networking. This is not an ideal set-up but I don't need to worry about controlling the connection as that will be as it is just now.

LeadingMNMs 23:02 21 Feb 05

A quick search found that you can get dialup hardware, although the one I found is a broadband router with the ability to use dialup click here& (apologies for the American site, can probably be found on UK one as well). Obviously its not wireless, but that could be added with a wireless access point.

There is very little hardware available for dialup users since most people are incredibly frustrated at its slow speed and on a network the bandwidth per machine is obviously much lower.

The easiest and cheapest option is probably to use Internet Connection Sharing, although this will require the host computer to be on all the time.

mgmcc 20:45 22 Feb 05

In its simplest form, you can network two or more PCs wirelessly just by installing Wireless Network Adapters in them and setting up an "Ad Hoc" wireless network.

If you want a wired connection, you can connect two PCs with a crossover ethernet cable directly between network adapters. More than two requires a hub/switch, or a second network adapter in one of the PCs will let you connect a third PC.

To mix wired/wireless with several PCs, you can use a network hub/switch and plug a Wireless Access Point into it and create an "Infrastructure" wireless network. This is where PCs don't talk directly to one another wirelessly, but all connect via the Wireless Access Point.

scotty 09:48 23 Feb 05

mgmcc,

I want to go down the route of using a Wireless Access Point which also allows wired ethernet connections. Where I am not clear is what are the options for connecting such a set-up to a dial-up internet connection.

Chezdez 11:22 23 Feb 05

basically, you want a 56k modem/wireless access point, that plugs directly into your phone socket?
as oppose to having a cable running between the phone socket and one (host) computer, and then an access point attached to that computer?

mgmcc 12:11 23 Feb 05

Generally, with dialup, the best option is simply to connect the modems of each PC to the phone line and connect with whichever PC you are using. There is little merit in trying to share a dialup connection unless the location of a second PC makes it impractical to connect directly.

However, I believe that there is (or was) a BT router for use with dialup connections but that is the only such device I have heard of.

What you can do is to set up "Internet Connection Sharing" in a 'host' PC which dials up and the other 'client' PCs can access the internet via the shared connection provided the 'host' is online.

In terms of hardware, you can use a network switch (usually available with 4 or 8 ethernet ports) and plug a Wireless Access Point into that. Then, with the appropriate network adapter installed, "wired" or "wireless", each PC can be connected to the network.

When you enable "ICS" in the 'host' PC, it will automatically configure its Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0

The 'client' PCs should be set to get their IP addresses automatically, which they do by DHCP from the ICS 'host'.

Icky 15:26 23 Feb 05

Is this any help?

click here

stuc100 21:21 23 Feb 05

If your only trying to connect a laptop or one other pc I wouldn't go through the bother and expense of an access point. Just use ICS and an ad-hoc network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…