Wireless Network but can't get on the Internet?!?

ardeecee 11:00 25 Mar 06

Wondering if anyone can help. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to wireless networks and am stumped.

I have a dell inspiron laptop with a netgear PCMCIA card and a Netgear DG834G wireless router that I managed to set up and configure to access the internet wirelessly.

I have now bought a new dell latitude laptop that has a built in wireless card.

The connection details at the bottom right say that everything is connect and the signal is excellent.

I have pinged the IP address as requested via the netgear troubleshooter and all the packets were received back.

Theonly problem I have is when trying to access the internet, the screen tells me that the page is unavailable.

Can anyone advise.

NB. I have still got the old laptop and betgear card on this network and it all still works fine.

Thanks

ade.h 13:24 25 Mar 06

Firewall settings?

(I feel like I've asked that a lot recently, but it is so often the cause of an apparently functional connection not functioning!)

ardeecee 16:37 25 Mar 06

Tried playing around with the firewall to no avail.

Don't know what to try next??!?!

Any sugggestions anybody?.......please!!!

ade.h 16:40 25 Mar 06

Get in touch with your ISP and ask for clarification of all the required settings: VPI/VCI, recommended MTU, protocol, and so on. Just in case anything is not quite correct. I experimented with a larger MTU yesterday to cure an issue with dropped packets and it was enough to mess up the connection.

ade.h 16:41 25 Mar 06

Although actually, now that I think about it, that's a bit wide of the mark, because you say that it used to work fine, and you probably haven't changed any of the settings. So forget that bit!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5