Wireless network BT Voyager problem

erkmatrix 10:09 11 Feb 05

I'm having a wireless network problem, just bought a Amilo Pro V2010 laptop and wanted to hook up my desktop in one room and share the broadband connection with the laptop via wireless network. I went for the BT Voyager 2100 Wireless Home Network Package for PC/Laptops which came with the cards for the laptop and pc.

This is what I did, followed the instructions for the router and turned it on , the lights came on like it said so thought that was ok, then drivers for the laptop and inserted card, got it to recognize the card and connect to network. Then drivers for the pc card and inserted that, only no signal to begin with. So I got the router brought in the room with my PC and suddenly got the signal, but the laptop in the livingroom which is only 15 metres away with thinish walls and doors open lost its signal, so brought the laptop into the same room and managed after playing about reseting the damn router which constantly kept for some reason losing the signals on the desktop even though it was in the same room, managed to connect to my broadband connection, it was slow as hell though like dialup took the laptop back into the livingroom it lost its signal again and then the desktop stoped loading internet.

What I wanted to ask, am I missing something here or is it a faulty router I have, it was so frustrating as took about three hours to operating then such weak signals, and cutting out all the time the internet connection.

Please help anyone who knows about networking, I've contacted BT to give us a replacement but beginning to think it may just be not a very good product, it states that its 50 metres indoors range and its fast and powerful which I'm certainly not finding.

Philip

the_mix090 10:48 11 Feb 05

It sounds as though you have a problem with the router.

If I were you I would go for a Belkin router. I have had one for a couple of years and had no problems with it so far.

FelixTCat 12:21 11 Feb 05

There is clearly some problem because I can operate my wireless networks at opposite ends of a building and through concrete floors. It may be a faulty wireless router, but there are a number of other possibilities.

You can set the router to use one of a number of different frequency bands. If there is interference on one band, which will give a poor signal, you can change bands.

Routers are often set by default to either band 1 or band 6. The management software for the pc adapter will often have a setting which shows the signal strength of each of the bands, so you can choose which looks the best and set the router and adapters accordingly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…