Wireless network and BT Broadband

wobbler 15:53 08 Feb 04

My PC and laptop are connected together via a wireless router which is connected to the PC via a LAN port. The laptop has a PCMCIA wireless adaptor. The 2 PC's can successfully "talk" to each other. The PC access the internet via a USB broadband modem. The problem is I cannot get the Laptop to access the internet via the router and cable modem. Any suggestions?

LeadingMNMs 16:15 08 Feb 04

If the PC is connected via a USB modem then the router and cable modem will not be able to use the line. I do not see why you would want to have the PC connected via its own modem when it could quite easily be connected via the router and cable modem. Whilst one modem is working the other will not be able to use the same telephone line.

wobbler 16:29 08 Feb 04

perhaps I didn't make myself very clear. The PC does connect directly to the internet via the USB cable modem, but the laptop connect to the PC via the wireless router. I believe the router could be positioned in between the cable modem and the PC, but since that involves all sorts of adaptors makes it expensive and complicated!

JerryJay 16:32 08 Feb 04

I agree with LeadingMNMs that the best way is to connect everything to the router for this you need to have a modem with has Ethernet port instead of USB port. Then you do not need to switch both machine on if you only need internet not network for one machine. HOWEVER, it should be possible for your set up to share internet. There is a function available in certain version of Windows, 98SE, XP for this. It is called "Internet Sharing". You may be able to find how to turn this one by using Windows help for search in Microsoft knowledge.

JerryJay 16:36 08 Feb 04

wobbler,

On Windows Help search for "Internet Connection Sharing", it tells you how to do it.

wobbler 17:28 08 Feb 04

been thro the ICS wizard but still cant access the internet from the laptop.

LeadingMNMs 07:08 09 Feb 04

If you've got any firewalls running then disable them for now and try again. The firewall often blocks the other computers signal and will need setting up to accept it, if you've got one.

wobbler 07:31 09 Feb 04

Firewall is disabled, but cant see that could be the problem as the 2 pc's can communicate with each other, just the laptop cannot access the internet.

JerryJay 09:50 09 Feb 04

For the network setting in your route, There is something called NAT (I think it is network address translation). You need to change it to NATP. This is what I did on my wired network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…