Wireless network beginner advice please

racoonboy 13:08 25 Jul 04

Hello everyone,

I have just bought a laptop which came with a wireless network card built in. I thought it might be useful to network this with my desktop PC in the study. The salesman told me I would need a wireless network card for the desktop, so I now have:

Laptop: WinXP Home with BroadCom S4g MaxPerformance 802.11g wireless card

Desktop: WinXP Pro with DLink DWL-520+ Wireless 802.11b PCI card (which has been installed successfully).

I have searched the forums for advice and found lots of talk of IP subnet masks and all kinds of other settings - but up until now my experience has been limited to basic computer / internet use.

I have tried the Windows Network setup wizards but there are lots of settings I don't understand.

I would like to share my dialup internet connection evenutally, but for now would be happy to just get the two computers talking to each other so I can share files between them (and work outside).

Can anyone tell me where to begin, or recommend good newbie resources?

Thanks
RB

LastChip 13:30 25 Jul 04

To start with, make sure your XP firewall is TURNED OFF. This is only a temporary measure until you have successfully configured the network.

Each computer must be on the SAME Workgroup. You can call this what you like, providing it remains consistent on all machines. Confusingly, the Default is; Workgroup!

Each computer must have a UNIQUE name, Bill and Ben for example, but again, you can call them whatever you like.

click here for a good resource, to read about setting up your network with step by step "How To's".

racoonboy 13:49 25 Jul 04

I will have a good read round the link you sent. Anyone else know of some good tutorials?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…