wireless network and aol

pdsure 07:44 10 Jun 06

I have aol with speedtouch 576 dsl. It all works fine when connected via ethernet cable - but I have not been successful at setting up the system to work wirelessly. I have been on live chat with an aol technician but after a long chat with a guy in india I had no deep joy - I don't think I was able to explain myself to him well enough on line as to what I was doing.

Has anyone managed to set up a wireless system using speedtouch and aol?

I would be grateful for any help

Many thanks

pdsure 09:14 10 Jun 06

I have read all the answers to previous requests for help with aol - In hte end I am totally confused - can anyone give me an idiots guide to setting up wireless for aol using speedtouch 576?

Please put me out of my misery

websurfowen 19:30 10 Jun 06

From previos experience with the same problem i found that only certain makes of router work with AOL. This has something to do with their network, why i do not know!
I ended up buying a 3com OfficeConnect router which does the job and worked straight away

pdsure 19:36 10 Jun 06

That is interesting - I bought a netgear router modem and was told by aol it was not compatible and they sent me the speedtouch 576 that I am trying to set up. I have had both the netgear and the speedtouch working via ethernet - but sadly neither by wireless

ajm 23:28 10 Jun 06

Below is an email I sent to someone who wanted to setup wirelss using a Netgear DG834G. Hope it hekps you

AOL is 100% compatible with any router that supports PPPoE with
>adjustable MTU settings.
>
>Simply follow the instructions provided by your router manufacturer.
>
>Key Guidelines:
>
>It is required that the screen name being used is a General account. Creat a 2nd username just for AOL connection and DO NOT use this account to check emails. The connection will get cut off
>
>Under Username: type your screen name followed by @aol.com.
>
>- For Example: "[email protected]"
>
>Under Password: Type your AOL password for that screen name. Then
>save/apply and establish a connection on the router.
>
>AOL only supports an MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) value up to 1400 bytes.
>Make certain you have manually set the MTU on the router to 1400.
>
>We recommend users with router setups to create a dedicated screen name
>on their accounts for the sole purpose of router login. Doing so will
>allow users to utilize other screens on their accounts when they choose
>to use their clients at any given time.
>
>If you ever choose to utilize the AOL client under these networking
>conditions, make sure that you set your client to connect via "TCP/IP:
>Lan or ISP (Internet Service Provider)." On newer versions of AOL, this
>option is renamed as "Broadband (High Speed, Cable, DSL or other ISP."
>
>*Note: AOL currently allows special characters and has extended the
>character length limit for passwords when using the AOL 9.0 Optimized.
>THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO PPPoE AUHTENTICATION! Please make sure that your
>username and password are purely made up of letters and numbers, all in lowercase.
>Passwords must NOT exceed 8 characters in length. Spaces are NOT
>acceptable!* Failure to follow will result in an error in PPPoE
>Authenction.

ajm 23:32 10 Jun 06

When setting up a router, you will be prompted to enter certain details that govern the type of connection you establish. Depending on the hardware you have, the way in which you enter these details may differ. However, you are likely to be prompted to enter them during the installation of your router and also a wireless adapter, should you choose to use a wireless setup.

Some router installation guides will automatically enter some of these details. Therefore, you may not be prompted for them all. In other cases, the options will be named differently. If you experience problems setting up your chosen home networking solution, you should refer to the documentation included with the device.
Required Details:
Connection Protocol: PPPoA
VPI: 0 Note that sometimes you will be asked for both figures together (VPI/VCI). In that instance, you enter them separated by a comma: 0,38
VCI: 38
Username: [email protected]
Password: youraolpassword

Please read these important guidelines about Screen Names and passwords used to configure a router to sign on to AOL.
Wireless Settings:
When configuring a wireless router, you may also be prompted for the following:
SSID: This is the 'name' of the router that you are using and is used by wireless adapters when they attempt to establish a connection.
WEP Key: The WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) key is the equivalent of a password on your router. Depending on your setup, it may be necessary to define one of these and ensure that any wireless adapters that connect to the router have the same key in their settings.
Network Type: There are a number of possible choices available here, but, if the option is available, you should choose Base Station.
MTU Setting: MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) defines the largest data packet size you can transmit in one go across a network. The AOL network runs at an MTU of 1400. Many routers have inbuilt auto-configurations where the hardware identifies that the AOL traffic has an MTU of 1400 and dynamically adjusts. Alternatively you may have to manually change the MTU setting on the modem router. If the router hardware does not have this facility, the MTU setting can manually be changed on the computer to 1400.

You can change the MTU setting on your computer by using DrTCP. This is a free software utility that is a shortcut to editing your registry. This is available at: click here.
MRU Setting: MRU (Maximum Routing Unit) is required by some modem routers and should be set to the same value as the MTU of 1400.
MSS Setting: MSS (Maximum Segment Size) is required by some modem routers and dynamically adjusts the packet size to fit the MTU. It should be set to 1360.
Are there special requirements for the Screen Name I use to set up my home network?
Yes. The Screen Name you use for configuring your router to sign on to AOL must follow the following guidelines to avoid technical problems with your connection:
You must enter the full Screen Name in lower case
You must add @aol.com after the Screen Name
The Screen Name must not contain any spaces
The Screen Name must have General (18+) access in
AOL Parental Controls (Mature Teen, Young Teen and
Kids Only Screen Names will not work for a router connection)
For example, if your current Screen Name is: FTG and HL24 The router setup for this Screen Name should be: [email protected]
We recommend that you create a new Screen Name for your router to connect to AOL. (If you use an existing Screen Name, then access AOL from a different location using that same Screen Name, your router will lose connection to the Internet.)
You can create a new Screen Name for this purpose at AOL Keyword:Screen Names, making sure that it follows the above guidelines.

ajm 23:32 10 Jun 06

2nd part AOL:

Setting up AOL to connect via a router on AOL 9.0

This article describes how to set up a router connection (using TCP/IP) on AOL version 9.0.

Step 1: Start AOL but do not sign on at this point. Instead, click Sign On Options on the AOL Sign-On screen.

Step 2: Click on Expert Setup.

Step 3: Click Add Location.

Step 4: Type a name for the location in the Location Name box -- for example, 'Router' -- then click Next.

Step 5: Choose Broadband (High-Speed, cable, DSL, or other ISP), then click Next.

Step 6: Tick Automatically reconnect me and ignore interruptions... then click Next.

Step 7: Select Automatic Connection, then click Next.

Step 8: Click Sign on to AOL now, then simply sign on to AOL as usual using any of your AOL Screen Names.

The next time you start the AOL software, you'll notice 'Router' (or whatever name you gave the location) is available as one of the options in the drop-down Location menu on the AOL Sign-On screen (see Step 1). This allows you to easily switch between using a router connection and a different connection (for example, a dial-up modem) if you wish.

pdsure 08:27 11 Jun 06

I am giving this a go again today - many thanks for your help - fingers crossed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…