Wireless Network Adapter

seedie 16:25 13 Nov 05

Been on this for a couple of days and made no real headway.

Son's computer.

Is old Protek machine and info gleaned from manual MB is 35886203. Clusty search shows it may be PCpartner MB and belarc says chipset dated Mar 1999 .
Netgear wireles ethernet adapter WG311 refuses to install and have tested it on another 'puter is OK

Failed computer is Celeron 440 and 384M memory.

Card won't instal with XP or 98SE; in fact on 1st install XP needed reboot twice and eventually got to the point where sys reported card will not start error code 10.

Have taken thing down to bare bones but no luck and re-instal xp repeated hung on start up

Any ideas ?

Forum Editor 16:53 13 Nov 05

is known for causing problems, and to save a great deal of time on our part (and frustration on yours) I suggest that you opt for a different wireless network adapter.

seedie 17:12 13 Nov 05

Thanks for your prompt reply FE.

I thought Netgear stuff was good - but you live and learn.

Recommend one ? Off board if you prefer

seedie 10:44 14 Nov 05

When I ordered this wireless setup from Ebuyer(DG834g ADSL firewall/router and two network cards for other computers) they offered me a secondhand WG311 card for half price - accepted this and when the stuff turned up the 2nd hand one was a WG311T which is 104 Meg but backward compatible with a 54 meg and put the faster card in wife's machine.
After the fiasco last couple of days I took fast card out this morning and put in son's machine upstairs. Installed a treat and 54 meg card installed in wife's 'puter so now have all of them networked.

Fortune works in mysterious ways. Getting Plusnet BB Wed.

Thanks to all who've shown an interest in this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…