Wireless Network

Tim C 10:20 25 Jun 03

I have a wireless network system, and it's giving me problems! The network is a desktop (ADSL connected via a USB modem) and two laptops. The desktop and one laptop are running WinXP Home, the other laptop has 98SE. A Linksys WRT54G wireless router is wired to the desktop, the XP laptop has a Belkin 802.11g card, and the 98 laptop has a Buffalo 802.11b card. The network is encrypted and WEP-enabled. No firewalls are running except on the desktop's internet connection.
The problem is that the XP laptop will only remain connected to the network for about 3 minutes before it drops the connection, and won't automatically reconnect. I removed Belkin's own card management software as I found Windows' own easier to understand (and I don't need any more junk in the Systray!), but I've not found any cure for this predicament.

Second problem is I'd like to allow internet connection sharing, but it seems this is impossible with the set up I have. Do Linksys make an ethernet ADSL modem that I can connect directly to the router?

Incidentally, the 98 laptop with the 802.11b card works just fine.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…