Wireless Network

scrawnyweakling 13:04 02 Mar 03

I've recently set up a wireless netowrk at home, but the PC I use upstairs is getting a very weak signal. I've moved the PC downstairs, so I know it can connect to the network. Is there any way that I can boost the signal? Would purchasing new antennas from click here work?

I'm using a D-Link DSL-604+ 802.11b Wireless ADSL Router, and a D-link DWL-520+ Wirless PCI adapter, with XP Home Edition.

Forum Editor 13:25 02 Mar 03

one of the main drawbacks with wireless home networks - they are liable to be seriously affected by walls, doors, microwave ovens, cordless phones, or anything else that transmits or is solid.

I have yet to see a wireless network that has the range claimed by the makers of the components, and it normally takes a bit of fiddling around with the location of the adapters/access point before you get maximum performance. You might find you get better results if you use a USB adapter instead of the PCI variety - they come with a reasonable length lead so you can move them around.

Steve- 15:50 02 Mar 03

To add to the FE's response I have a similar setup although with a Linksys access point, the difference between a good and bad signal can be moving as little as 1 or 2 feet on the laptop even when in the next room about 15 feet away. My upstairs computer with the d-link PCI card needs to have the antenna more than three or four inches from the metal legs of the computer desk to work at all although only 10feet from the access point through one floor.

I also have a Belkin USB adapter on my daughters unit upstairs which sits pretty much at 50-60% signal strength how ever much it is moved, although it is diagonally opposite the access point via several walls and a floor.

I certainly don't get anything like the published range even under ideal test conditions.

SEASHANTY 15:50 04 Mar 03

You have made my day Steve. I seriously considered the wireless option on networking but finally went for the cheaper option of direct ethernet cabling on each computer. My MAC address of the original computer was already registered with NTL Broadband but using the Linksys BEFSR41 router allowed me to clone the PC
12 digit MAC address into the router solving the problem of re-registering. Using direct CAT5 cable was also much cheaper than wireless and it hasn't given me a single problem since setting up. This site also mentions the problems of wireless networking <click here>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…