Wireless Network

AndreP 13:28 22 Feb 03

Could anyone give me some advice on what equipment I will need if I want to set up a wireless network.
I have a main PC connected to cable broaddband down stairs and would like to put a couple of low spec. PC's in both of my kids rooms with internet access.What do I need and how much will it cost roughly?

Andre

jazzypop 13:37 22 Feb 03

I would recommend a wireless cable router and two wireless network cards.

Total cost no more than £200 - but shop around, there are many special offers available, and prices are dropping fast. Do try to get a 'name' brand such as Netgear, Linksys, Belin - these all have decent support and backup.

click here for an overview of networking your cable connection, and look at the options under Wireless Networking on the left-hand menu.

jazzypop 13:38 22 Feb 03

Belin should read Belkin - my apologies

AndreP 13:51 22 Feb 03

Thanks,
At present I have two PC's networked using a Zonet 8 port hub, can I connect a wireless access port to it and then add wireless nc cards to the two PC's upstairs?

jazzypop 14:04 22 Feb 03

That should work - it sounds just like the 3rd diagram at click here

However, a wireless router will give the advantage of independent access, i.e. you will not need to have your 'gateway' PC switched on to allow the other 3 PCs to access the Web. Only you can judge whether this convenience is worth the cost :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac