Wireless network

gippingman 14:40 13 Feb 07

I curently have a Wireless Network via Linksys WAG54GS-UK Wireless G running on an XP pc and two xp laptops. I am now about to get an older laptop (poss Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600) and I understand that I need to purchase either a PCMCIA CARD (assuming that is the same as a PC card - the laptop says PC card slot type 11- is it one and the same?) or a USB adaptor.

Is it the spec of the laptop that resticts whether I get a "b" or "g" card/adaptor or if I am currently running on "g" equipment/network now, will the older notebook run on "g" equpiment/network automatically if i purchase compatable equpment

mgmcc 18:05 13 Feb 07

The Type II "PC Card" slot should take either the older 16-bit PCMCIA cards or 32-bit CardBus cards. For Wireless Networking, the laptop will need to be running 98SE or later.

If considering an 802.11g USB adapter, be aware that a USB 1.1 port will limit its performance to the 12Mbps speed supported by USB 1.1

<<< Is it the spec of the laptop that resticts whether I get a "b" or "g" card/adaptor or if I am currently running on "g" equipment/network now >>>

If you install a "g" WiFi adapter, it will perform in accordance with the 802.11g networking protocol - generally connecting at 54Mbps in an "Infrastructure" network and at 11Mbps in an "Ad Hoc" network.

gippingman 17:24 18 Feb 07

thanks - how do i know what is an older 16 bit
pcmcia card ?

I was thinking of the following card - Linksys WPC54G Wireless/WiFi Laptop PCMCIA Card - anyone know if that is a compatible type card assuming I run W98 se or later?

Ashrich 22:53 18 Feb 07

Laptop should be Ok , I've just wireless enabled an Armada E500 with a PC Card adapter ( DWL-G650+ ) and it works fine , but Windows 98se , although it supports wireless , is flaky at best , I ended up putting Win2000 on instead , with sp4 , and it was much better .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:55 18 Feb 07

Forgot to add , the availability of drivers for the operating system is what decides whether you use 802.11b or 802.11g

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…