//some 3rd party need geo

Wireless network

rdh660 04:26 09 Jul 05

I have two computers networked in what I believe is called an ad hoc situation ie a network cable between them. They both share my broadband conection,printer and files etc.
One has a wireless lan card installed so I am thinking of buying another for the second computer and doing away with the cable. Will I still be able to share broadband, printer etc as I can with my wired network using windows internet connection sharing.... do I just configure the wireless connections on both PCs as I did with the wired network connection?
Also if I decide to go further and buy a wireless router to connect my modem to as well do I need a network cable from the router to my main computer or will the router communicate with both computers wirelessly thus doing away with all networking cables to PC's.
Thanks
Rob .

Taff36 06:34 09 Jul 05

The answer to all your questions is basically yes. You can set up an ad hoc connection using wireless and you probably won`t have to change many settings other than disable the cable connection. A wireless router needs only one cable to the telephone master socket or the cable modem if you are with Telewest for example.

The following link takes you to just one modem/router but it also has 4 ports for cable connections as well. It includes in the bundle a wireless USB adapter which you can use in a spare USB port rather than buy an internal wireless card. You can move this to other computers in the future of course. I find this useful if I have visiting computers that need a broadband connection for updating software etc.
click here

I think that by the time you`ve looked at a seperate internal card and a router you might as go the whole hog and get a unit similar to this in one go.

Taff36 06:38 09 Jul 05

Note also that if you order this online you can "collect from store" at the reduced price. Handy if there is a store close to you.

Taff36 07:04 09 Jul 05
  rdh660 10:35 09 Jul 05

Sorry I have been offline for a time.

Thanks for all the information Taff.I think you are correct, looks a better deal to go the whole way and get the better unit and kill all the birds with one stone.

Thanks again for the great support

Rob

Taff36 14:05 09 Jul 05

The only thing I`d say is that D-Link router has the most misleading set up instructions around but I`ve personally set up three the same and numerous via this forum. I am biased about this router and make no apologies but if you run into problems start a new tread with D-Link G604T Setup in the subject. I or one of the other "D-Linkers" will point you in the right direction.

The biggest secret for that router is after putting in the settings you have to go to Tools>System Settings and Save All then reboot the router - otherwise all is lost after the first session! Good Luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…