Wireless Network

Barrie-281802 17:37 30 Jan 05

I have two computers which have accesss to ntl broadband via a wireless router. One machine is connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable, the other connects via wireless.
I have tried to set up a home network. The computer upstairs (connected via wireless) can see the computer downstairs but the one downstairs (connected via ethernet cable) cannot see the machine upstairs. I have tried disabling the firewall on the local machine but to no avail.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Charence 17:41 30 Jan 05

and both computers are on, double click on the LAN icon and look at the status. The information should be on Details. This is what you should get:

IP Address - both different, Subnet Mask - same on both PCs and router, Default Gateway - router IP, DNS - router IP.

If this is not the case, then you may need to rerun the Network Wizard; if it still does not work, configure the TCP/IP manually.

Charence

Barrie-281802 18:23 31 Jan 05

Thanks for the advice. I checked the settings as you suggested and they were all correct. It turned out to be a firewall problem after all. I had disabled Zone Alarm but in doing this the windows firewall was automatically enabled and I hadn't noticed. The only problem now is that when I try to access the computer upstairs from my machine it asks me for a password even though no passwords are set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…