Wireless Network

Barrie-281802 17:37 30 Jan 05

I have two computers which have accesss to ntl broadband via a wireless router. One machine is connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable, the other connects via wireless.
I have tried to set up a home network. The computer upstairs (connected via wireless) can see the computer downstairs but the one downstairs (connected via ethernet cable) cannot see the machine upstairs. I have tried disabling the firewall on the local machine but to no avail.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Charence 17:41 30 Jan 05

and both computers are on, double click on the LAN icon and look at the status. The information should be on Details. This is what you should get:

IP Address - both different, Subnet Mask - same on both PCs and router, Default Gateway - router IP, DNS - router IP.

If this is not the case, then you may need to rerun the Network Wizard; if it still does not work, configure the TCP/IP manually.

Charence

Barrie-281802 18:23 31 Jan 05

Thanks for the advice. I checked the settings as you suggested and they were all correct. It turned out to be a firewall problem after all. I had disabled Zone Alarm but in doing this the windows firewall was automatically enabled and I hadn't noticed. The only problem now is that when I try to access the computer upstairs from my machine it asks me for a password even though no passwords are set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes