Wireless network

VEG 23:18 26 Aug 04

Ok here goes what do i need to set one up i got a new pc and want to get a cheap laptop for the wife to use sharing my bband connection.
What is the minimum spec laptop i can use to do this and what parts would i need.

Many thanks in advance.

johnsims 23:27 26 Aug 04

Any modern laptop will do. Celeron based from about £550, Dell do a centrino latitude for just under £800 (my wife has oen and it's not bad at all)

Kit: Ideally an ethernet ADSL modem/router/wireless access point. Plus a PCI wireless NIC for the PC. Plus, if not a centrino laptop, a PCMCIA wireless card. I would suggest getting the kit from the same manufacturer. I have a Netgear WGR614 (modem/router/WAP) and a Netgear WG511T PCMCIA card for my own laptop. Good kit, good instructions, great support in the UK, easy to set up and works well. Wifes centrino laptop finds the connection straight away too.

_plAsma 23:32 26 Aug 04

dunno about the WLAN but for the laptop...

I bought this cheap laptop: click here

Its really good, 20GB HD, 256MB RAM, DVD drive...

i recomend it highly...it also has built in wireless card... (802.11B)

(£421.30 + VAT)

Unfortunatley...no OS so you would have to install that yourself... ;)

hope that helps you finding a cheap laptop...

thanks,
_plAsma

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…