Wireless network

rmt 02:34 13 Aug 04

I have W98 Desktop with Linksys ADSL Router and a XP Laptop with Linksys Wireless adapter which I want to network to the desktop. I can successfully get the internet connection but cannot get the laptop to access files or printer on the desktop. The workgroup names are the same and file and printer sharing has been enabled. ????

Urotsukidoji 08:42 13 Aug 04

i would be surprised if you will ever get it to work.

the reason is windows 98 uses FAT32 file system, and XP uses NTFS file system. neither will talk to each other, FAT32 simply does not understand NTFS (a bit like you speaking to someone abroad who has never heard english before)

best bet is to upgrade your windows 98 machine (assuming thats possible - run a sysprep prior to upgrade) to xp, and then convert the fs to ntfs - if you need help doing that post here, once you have confirmed your windows 98 machine is capable of handling XP.

Alternatively, lots of CD's :oP

mgmcc 11:21 13 Aug 04

<<< the reason is windows 98 uses FAT32 file system, and XP uses NTFS file system. neither will talk to each other, FAT32 simply does not understand NTFS >>>

I have no problem whatsoever networking a FAT32 Win 98 PC with an NTFS formatted Win XP PC. Not only that, my XP PC has the operating system in an NTFS "C" drive and I keep data which I share over the network in a FAT32 "D" drive.

mgmcc 11:26 13 Aug 04

<<< I can successfully get the internet connection but cannot get the laptop to access files or printer on the desktop. The workgroup names are the same and file and printer sharing has been enabled. >>>

In Win 98's Network Properties, have you clicked the File and Printer Sharing button and ticked the two boxes?

Have you actually set folders and printer(s) as "Shared" in their Properties?

Is any Firewall software configured in the "Trusted Zone" to allow access to the IP addresses of the networked computers?

Urotsukidoji 11:58 13 Aug 04

unless of course he is running his 98 machine in compressed mode...

rmt 13:19 13 Aug 04

File and printer sharing is all selected and all folders and printers are set to "share". Firewall is configured in trusted zone

mgmcc 16:08 13 Aug 04

Can the laptop 'ping' the desktop successfully?

Have you tried using "Search" in the laptop to find the desktop, either by name or by IP address?

Similarly, can the desktop 'ping' and find the laptop?

If the laptop has an ethernet port, have you managed to get it to communicate with the desktop using a 'wired' rather than 'wireless' connection - this at least would narrow the problem down to the wireless side of things?

rmt 00:23 14 Aug 04

Tried a hard wired connection, but neither machine could see each other and searching for one or the other with the wireless connection, still did nothing

hillybilly 01:16 14 Aug 04

Have you tried doing the following andin this order.

1. Set up adsl router with the xp laptop and make an internet connection.

2. Next run the "Setup Network Wizard" on the laptop and create a setup disk.

3. Run the setup disk on you 98 desktop.

By the way don't worry about fat an ntfs, that is definately not whats wrong! The only time that would be a problem is if you tried to fit an ntfs drive as a slave into a win98. It would not be able to access it, but as long as an ntfs drive is in another pc on a network win98 can reconise it and read it! That goes right back to the days of WIN98 and NT4

ensonricky 02:50 14 Aug 04

Had no problems networking and file sharing with Win98 and XP. Ceck your workgroup name is the same as the default between some different Windows operating systems varies. hillybilly's advice is sound and the way I set up my own system.

rmt 11:39 14 Aug 04

Yes I've tried the setup disk and run it on W98, I also tried to ping one computer from the other and that was unsuccessful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…