//some 3rd party need geo

wireless network

mitey_won 13:54 01 Jun 04

Ive got 2 pcs at home (one upstairs & one downstais) so am looking at setting up a wireless connection to share broadband and 1 printer and a scanner.
However, not really to sure about the set-up.
At the mo have regular broadband modem attached to one pc via usb and into the splitter at the other end.

How would it work with, say, a combo wireless modem/router set-up for 2 pc's? Would I just plug the wirless modem/router into the splitter and install a wireless network adapter for each pc?

And what is a wireless access point?

Any help appreciated.

AndySD 14:30 01 Jun 04

Would I just plug the wirless modem/router into the splitter and install a wireless network adapter for each pc?

Yes although some configuration will be needed.

Its almost impossable to share a scanner.

An access point is used to connect the pcs if you connect to the internet through another device/gateway. As en example you connect the moden to a hardware firewall then the access point to the firewall to share the connection.

mitey_won 15:19 01 Jun 04

thanks Andy.
what standard should I go for? Is 11mbs data transfer fast enuff or should I go for the 82.11g standard (54mbs i think).
Apologies if i've not got a grasp of the terminology yet.

AndySD 16:50 01 Jun 04

11mbs is fast enough for sharing the internet (the very best speed for an internet connection is 3mb on broadband) and the printer. I use 54g but its more expensive... only I tend to move large files between the pc's and Notebook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…