Wireless Network

jgosden 19:55 22 Jan 04

Hi i am trying to set up an adhoc wireless network (mainly because i don't have the money spare to by a router) i have 2 bt wireless lan cards and 2 pcs running xp home, i tried to set it up and it says in the tray that it is connected but i am confused about where i should go from here, i have bt broadband on the main pc and want to share broadband and access files on the main pc. any help would be great thanks.

cthooli 20:01 22 Jan 04

i may be wrong but i'm pretty sure u cant share boradband without a router
as i say i may be wrong!

Gaz 25 20:03 22 Jan 04

You can share the internet. Right click your broadband connection. > Internet connection sharing.

jgosden 20:04 22 Jan 04

i read the manual for the cards and it told me u could just vague about how????

click here

the user manual (above) states you can but is has also succeeded at confusing me

jgosden 20:06 22 Jan 04

i can share it (i am currently using broadband on desktop over wired) however i am really confused with the general setting up wireless.

jgosden 20:33 22 Jan 04

hello

hello to you to

Sorry if you have tried this already but did you run XP's network wizard.

I had real trouble setting up a wirless network but with the advice of a forum member I was able to resolve this easily.

Firstly run the wizard on the machine connected to the internet. You will be asked a couple of simple questions. Once you have compelted the wizard you will be asked if you want to create a floppy disc. Do this, insert the floppy disc into the other machine and run the wizzard from it. XP shouuld sort everything for you.

Apologies again if you have already done this but I hope this helps anyway

Dutchy11 21:41 22 Jan 04

The manual seems pretty straight forward - You start from Step 2 in the install section. It's important that you install the software before connecting the hardware and follow the instuctions for ad hoc and file sharing. The site does not appear to offer any updated drivers - so the ones it was shipped with should be fine. If it has all gone horribly wrong disconnect the hardware, uninstall the software and start again.

Good Luck

jgosden 08:25 23 Jan 04

thanks for that i might start again from the beggining,

p.s i just put in hello to make the thread come back up to the top because i needed help.

jgosden 10:28 24 Jan 04

I got wireless working, and managed to share the web however am confused about opening file sharing. I open my network places and open up the other pc and it says

connect to gosden

Connecting to Gosden

Username:
Password:

I have tried using the logon and username and password for both pc's which are the same but it didn't work, I don't understand why this is happening. If i ping everything works fine yet i can't open shared folders,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…