Wireless Net Setup & WEP?

JerryJay 10:09 17 Mar 04

I am about to set up my wireless network when I get my wireless router today (D-Link DWL-700AP), I have two questions I want to clarify:

(1) How to connect wireless router when I run setup/configuration? Do I connect it direct to computer or connect it to wired router I already connected to computer.

(2) I will use MAC filtering for security, but not sure WEP. WEP will slow down connection. But, is the slow down significant/noticeable? I only use network for internet connection and will not shift large file across network.

Thanks in advance.

medicine hat 10:28 17 Mar 04

click here is an Access Point so you will be able to connect it to your wired router. Full instructions will be in the manual or click here

medicine hat 10:32 17 Mar 04

Don't know the answer to your second question as I don't use WEP, only MAC filtering. Perhaps that is silly but I don't have any data worth stealing.

JerryJay 09:16 19 Mar 04

Just to report back that I found WEP does not make any noticeable speed/performance difference for internet connection. I test use different speed test site and the speed results are almost the same with or without WEP (128Bit). I also test use wire connection on the same laptop, again the results are almost the same. So it is a good idea to switch on WEP.

The setup of mix wired and wireless network use devices from different makers is not really a good idea. So nexttime, I will buy all device from the same manufacturer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…