Wireless mouse not working

Molly_Don 17:10 07 Aug 10

Hi

My wireless mouse in not working.

When I booted the desktop up, once loaded the mouse pointer was static in the middle of the screen and wouldn't move, I changed the batteries and rebooted, still nothing, I've purchased a new wireless mouse, installed it and even that's not working and I now can't see the mouse pointer.

It's an Acer desktop running windows XP Virgin BB.

If it helps, I updated Open Office this week, when closing OO it kept crashing, the last time I used the computer was yesterday, as I was about to shut it down OO crashed again before shutting down.

Any suggestions please?

mooly 17:23 07 Aug 10

Worth trying system restore ?
click here

Molly_Don 17:45 07 Aug 10

Hi mooly

How do I get to click on system restore as the mouse doen't work, I've tried a wired mouse and that doesn't work either.

mooly 17:57 07 Aug 10

That's a good question :)

Can you use the "windows" key and arrow keys to get into anything.

Molly_Don 18:18 07 Aug 10

OK, I've managed to get a restore point up (Not sure how I done it) but i'm stck again, how do I select a previous restore point as the arrow keys don't work (sorry if I sound thick)

mooly 18:23 07 Aug 10

Another thought... not good news... is that the problem may be malware related or a rootkit virus.

If so a reinstall would be the only sure fix option I fear but you would lose everything.
You do back up your data etc I hope.

Acers have a recovery partiton, or you may have burned or been supplied with recovery discs.

mooly 18:30 07 Aug 10

Can't just think of anything... and I appreciate the problem... it's just dificult without actually sitting in front of it.

How did you move the cursor to select a restore point.

Maybe someone else has ideas on this...

Molly_Don 18:30 07 Aug 10

I've backed up until 4 weeks ago, I was going to back up this weekend, I have the recovery discs for the acer desktop, if the only option is for me to do a reinstall, that's what I'll have to do I guess.

Thanks mooly for all your help.

Molly_Don 18:33 07 Aug 10

How did you move the cursor to select a restore point.

I used the windows and arrows key to get into system restore, but nothing happens now when I press the windows or arrow key.

mooly 18:37 07 Aug 10

Only other thing I can think of is something called last known good configuration,

click here

accessed by pressing F8 at boot up.

rdave13 18:38 07 Aug 10

Try the tab key. That sometimes allows the cursor to move to another part.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced