wireless mouse not detected

Boy Zone 10:36 11 Jul 09

I've a logitech wireless mouse that has now stopped working. when I plug it into the USB I get a meesage telling me that USB Device not recognised. The device manager also shows Unknown device.
I've taken it to another PC and it works fine.
I run XP home and changed the batteries.
It's a laptop I use.

mooly 19:11 11 Jul 09

I know this
click here
was a Vista problem but wonder if the same applies to XP.

Boy Zone 20:49 11 Jul 09

I tried my mouse on yet another pc, initially it worked then stopped.
I think it must be the transmitter that's stopped working,
Is there any way of testing this??

woodchip 22:55 11 Jul 09

In Device Manager uninstall the yellow icon one. then restart computer after its booted plug the mouse in. You may have to press a button on the USB receiver, then at the bottom of the mouse

woodchip 23:01 11 Jul 09

PS

If it does not work after uninstall, uninstall again then use Add new Hardware wizard in Control Panel. Choose from List of hardware USB mouse you need to load the HID-compliant mouse

Boy Zone 07:32 12 Jul 09

HI Woodchip,
I have done as you suggest but no luck. I don't get a yellow icon on "unknown device" within device manager. I've unistalled this line entry, and when I plug back in the transmitter I get the same problem.
Could it be that the transmitter has become faulty??

woodchip 16:50 12 Jul 09

Have you pressed the button on the receiver and mouse while its flashing? You have to do it quick

Boy Zone 18:06 12 Jul 09

I tried another logitech mouse and it worked with its transmitter so presume thats the problem,Now to buy a new mouse...

mooly 19:10 12 Jul 09

Do you mean a different mouse worked OK with the existing receiver. So you think the mouse is intermitant ?
If so, before you condemn the mouse, clean the battery terminals, use a cotton bud and WD40.

Boy Zone 19:14 12 Jul 09

no the exsisting mouse worked with a different logitech receiver but the same model.

mooly 19:20 12 Jul 09

Duff receiver then !
One mad thing to try... assuming it's nothing physical with it like a damaged plug etc.. check it, clean it !
Before you condemn it... humour me... put the receiver somewhere quite hot (not hot enough to melt it :)) for 24 hours or so.
Not saying for a minute this will cure it, but some electronic chips (it does happen... it was my day job) can lock up and residual charge prevents them from resetting correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now