Wireless Mouse Eats Batteries

superhoops 21:16 03 Jul 07

Since I got my new pc last october I have replaced the batteries in the mouse many many times. I bought new batteries for it last weekend and already the "replace batteries" warning is appearing onscreen. I have used ordinary batteries and rechargeable with the same result. Is this normal? Why dont mouses or mice have on/off buttons so the red light doesnt keep blinking 24 hours a day that no doubt doesnt help the battery life?

Stuartli 21:20 03 Jul 07

My optical mouse switches itself off after a few minutes if not used, to preserve battery life.

Even though it's a large mouse, normal rechargeable battery life is around six to eight weeks with all day and evening use.

Might be worth swapping it for one that sits in a recharging cradle.

Technotiger 21:21 03 Jul 07

You could get one of these, no batteries needed.

click here

nikef 21:24 03 Jul 07

have you tried durracel
thats what i use,they last about six months
i have an on/off switch at the base of optical mouse

superhoops 21:24 03 Jul 07

Wow that is amazing, do you know anyone who has one- does it actually work?
I think I will have to get a new mouse as the draining of the batteries is getting ridiculous. Guess there must be something wrong with it

superhoops 21:26 03 Jul 07

Yes I have tried duracell in the past, didnt last much longer. I dont have an on and off switch. Shame to have to get a new mouse as it has a neat sensor unit that goes with the rest of the system!! (HP)

belkin rechargeable
click here

Technotiger 21:28 03 Jul 07

Or - I use a Logitech V400 Dual Laser Cordless mouse, battery life is so good I often forget it uses batteries - until it tells me on-screen when battery is getting low. Not cheap, about £29, but excellent. Does not need mouse-mat, works on any surface.

superhoops 21:31 03 Jul 07

Thanks for all your replies, gives me something to think about!!

SpookTheBlackCat 21:36 03 Jul 07

I had the same problem. What I found was that shutting down the PC did not switch off the mouse ,therfore it was on 24hrs a day 7 days a week. When you shut the PC down, unless you switch off at the mains switch , the USB port will still be powered. Try it.

superhoops 21:44 03 Jul 07

Tried it but mouse still blinking away!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…