from wireless modem router g to n

pookie 15:09 05 Apr 10

Hi

windows xp sp3 1gb ram. My desktop is about 6 years old but all bios etc up to date with latest drivers (although last update was about 4 years ago.

I have posted this in the networking forum as well.

I connect to internet through talktalk up to 8Mb. I have a d link g wireless modem router and use ethernet cable to computer. The d link modem router is about 4 years old and all driver up to date but again last update was several years ago. Graphics card drivers are current.

Thinking of getting Belkin n modem router mainly as was at friends the other night. he has n laptop and online videos were very clear and smooth. I came home and looked at same videos and mine were slow and patchy. The belkin doesn't come with wireless adaptor but i'd connect using my ethernet cable.

click here

The n + version is £20 more.

Internet use is using videos and for wifi about the house.

Questions:

is n+ worth the £20 more than n?

will the ethernet cable I have to pc be as fast as an actual n wireless adaptor would be as i don't want to spend £30 on n wireless adaptor?

is my old motherboard a limiting factor in anyway?

Many thanks

P

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 05 Apr 10

"use ethernet cable to computer"

will be faster than wireless

If your videos are stuttering then either download problem through your phone lines / router, check download speed up to 8Meg dosn't mean your actually getting anywhere near that.

Low memory / lack of hard drive space could also be a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009