wireless modem for one computer

wildhouse 23:42 16 Feb 05

I have just got broadband and my computer is not near the phone socket. Any advice/suggestions as to a wireless modem (I only have one computer to connect). I used to have a BT-On Air wireless modem for dial-up which worked brilliantly but can't see one for broadband.

Forum Editor 00:32 17 Feb 05

to do this - then you can use your computer anywhere within range.

Bear in mind that you must use a computer that has a LAN port initially - to connect to the router and write your broadband login details to its firmware, so it can automatically connect when it's turned on. Once you've done the configuration you can remove the cable that connects the computer to the router (the cable will come with the router), and move your computer to its normmal location.

georgemac © 07:42 17 Feb 05

click here this is what you need - I have set this up for a friend.

The usb adapter will go in your pc and the router can be plugged in at the phone socket.

I did set up this one by plugging the router in to the pc by lan cable first, but it looked like if you installed the wireless usb adapter on the pc, you would be able to connect wirelessly to the router from there, log in and change the settings like this.

zarobian 08:37 17 Feb 05

How do you write the Broadband login details to the firmaware of the Wireless Router?
Please explain in details if possible.Thanks.

georgemac © 09:08 17 Feb 05

you login to the router using internet explorer or your web browser - the instructions for the browser will tell you the login address, you enter the router's password then you can change all the router settings to whatever you wish, including the security settings to secure your wireless network. You have to enter your ISP account details to the router to ba able to access the internet. You then save the settings and log out of the router.

georgemac © 09:16 17 Feb 05

sorry the instructions for the router will tell you the login address

for example my dg834g is click here or http: // / (without the spaces)

I cannot remember the login for the dlink kit above but I have installed 2 of these for friends, have a 3rd one here for another friend and would not hesitate to use one myself - in fact my netgear usb wireless adapter sometimes plays up - the dlink ones have worked faultlessly since installed.

wildhouse 18:43 04 Apr 05

Thanks for help. Have got a 6m cable extension for the time being which hides behind bookcases!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…