Wireless modem connection problems

Drum 18:40 09 Jun 09

I've got a wireless modem connection problem. I am running Windows XP and have a D Link wireless modem and a PCI wireless card. Everything has functioned perfectly for months, but a week or so ago I was getting random disconnections.

If I right click the tray icon and click to repair, sometimes this works and I'll get a confirmation that the wireless network connection is connected, signal strength excellent. Four seconds later it will come up "unable to connect to network".

Sometimes after this it will connect on its own with no notifications coming up.
I've been to network connections in control panel and played around with some of the settings there, but they mostly don't mean anything to me.

In network connections I've got a dial-up PCI modem which is disconnected. Also got a 1394 connection, also disabled. Another one that says Local area connection, disabled, firewalled SIS 900-Based PCI fast ethernet adapter. (I've got no ethernet connection on this DLink modem). Also the one that should be working ..Wireless network connection Wireless PCI 802.11b/g fast ethernet adapter.(says either connected or disconnected ...depending!).

Device manager tells me that my PCI card is working properly. I even get displays in the tray saying wireless network connection is now connected, when it's patently obvious that I'm not, as web pages are un-obtainable, and when I go to send/ receive from Outlook express I get the following box....
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.plus.net', Server: 'mail.plus.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I don't think this is a problem with my ISP PlusNet as their service status never shows any problems during these times.

Also tried rebooting the computer and/or the modem, and this sometimes makes a connection, but it is often quickly lost.

I've tried resetting the modem with the reset button, but the problems persist. Not actually tried uninstalling and then reinstalling it, should I try this?

A funny thing I've noticed is that when I'm either connected or disconnected, different tray icons appear, i.e. there are two different types of connected icon and two different types of disconnected icon. Sometimes when I'm connected there are two connection icons shown together, which is really throws me. Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 09 Jun 09

Try changing to a different channel.

One of your neighbours may be on the same channel causing interference.

Drum 10:08 10 Jun 09

Thanks for the reply Fruit Bat, and it would normally be a good suggestion, but I live out the sticks in a detached house in the country, and my nearest neighbour is about 200 yards away, so I would say it's unlikely this is the cause..
As a point of interest though, how does one change channels, as I've only got one ADSL input on the modem?

I changed one of my microfilters last night for a new one, and this morning I'm not having any problems .... yet!

Drum 12:03 13 Jun 09

Just thought I'd let folks know that several days after replacing the microfilter I've not had a problem .... Yippee!

This might of course be coincidence, but so far so good!
Many thanks for your response Fruit Bat, but I'm still wondering how to change channels if need be.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:58 13 Jun 09

Channel changing is done in the wireless options section of your routers config page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…