WIRELESS MADNESS

Wiliwombat 21:09 18 Mar 06

Hi Can anyone please help. Got new computer and laptop. ISP is NTL broadband. Installed Belkin Wireless G router all seems to be well for desktop pc. Laptop has Centrino Wireless ability. Thought this would be a 5 minute job which has now turned into a 5 hour job. Laptop saying that 'no wireless networks were found in range' also says 'make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on'.

I can't understand why there is no wireless network in range when the router is testing fine (and accessing the isp). Also can't understand anything about the wireless switch, where is it for a start. Have we set up the network wrong. PLEASE PLEASE HLEP ME before my husband murders me (doesn't help that we are trying to stop smoking at the same time).
THANKS

pipedream 21:30 18 Mar 06

Most laptops with built-in wireless capability have a small switch or button to turn the wireless capability on - there's usually an LED which lights to indicate this. Have a look for a button with an aerial symbol or similar, or look in the laptop's manual.

ade.h 21:51 18 Mar 06

It can also be a form of software switch, accessed through the laptop manufacturer's software. HPs, for example, have both a button on the keyboard and switch in the HP software.

Things to check in the router config: Is the SSID broadcast switched on? Is wireless functionality enabled?

Danoh 23:09 18 Mar 06

Sony Vaio has a slider-switch for wireless on the front edge (right hand side).

Wiliwombat 20:58 19 Mar 06

Hi Everyone,
thanks for taking the time to help me. I am pleased to say that we found the switch (on the front!!!) turned it on and with a bit of work it is now up and running. Glad to say all is well and that we didn't even have a cigarette. (No fingers left though). Again thank you all again for taking the time to reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…