wireless loosing connection

cableguy2005 11:04 03 Oct 08

Hi, i posted this yesterday and ticked resolved, only for the problem to re-appear. please anymore suggestions are welcome. thanks.
---
I am running vista on a new sony vw11 laptop and have been having wireless connection problems. as in it just keeps dropping off then coming back on.
i have tried 3 different laptops and still have the same problem so i know its not a computer related problem. (yes the wireless switch is on!) i have had my internet service provider (virgin) run checks and they said i had a weak connection so they came and installed a new modem as it was really old (ntl). i have also upgraded my router from a cheap buffalo one (had no problems with this before) - the one i am now using is belkin and is brand new.
virgin say its a router problem because i can connect hardwired with a ethernet cable but the problem is when i try to connect wireless. it just keeps loosing connection. i recently tried to download itunes 8 and the download kept stopping. i paused and resumed and it would carry on a little then stop again. sometimes rebooting the modem or pc works temp.
i am using a private network and it connects to this ok but just says 'local only' in the bottom right of the screen. so annoying!
any ideas welcome
thanks

Halmer
Thu, [email protected]:59

I had this and changed the channel from 6

to 1 in the router configuration and it works OK now.

Halmer
Thu, [email protected]:17

and how to do it

click here

cableguy2005
Thu, [email protected]:20

thanks halmer i will try this when i get home from work and then update the posting
cheers

woodchip
Thu, [email protected]:26

Are you running on battery when this happens?

cableguy2005
Thu, [email protected]:52

battery or plugged in it makes no odds

cableguy2005
Thu, [email protected]:06

Halmer, nice one dude, that worked.

Halmer
Thu, [email protected]:29

cableguy2005

good outcome well done.

cableguy2005
Fri, [email protected]:42

noooo!

man, i cant believe it, after like 10 hours of fast and full connection, the wireless has dropped off again. the diagnostic says that the signal is too weak. should i try another port or does anyone have any other ideas? thanks :(

Halmer 11:24 03 Oct 08

If it ran for 10 hours without dropping once something must have improved.

For it to run for so long seems reasonable to me and it may have simply been a physical barrier.

You should place your router in an upstairs room, high up and as close to the middle of that room as possible with no immediate restrictions such as a PC or TV very close to it.

Why don't you change it to channel 11 also and see how you go?

cableguy2005 12:44 21 Oct 08

moved the router, changed channel and changed the power settings so it wasnt in power saving mode. all is well now. thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017