Wireless laptop 'swamped by BT fon paid for hotspot site

SparkyJack 18:02 23 Jul 14

Having set the up the machine in the home of the owner only find the screen opened the BT wireless site site opened,offering paid for time slots and seems not to be closed off. So far attempts to do pen a new window. Simply bring the wirelles site to the top. I assume that it it likely a nearby pub or similar is the culprit Any thoughts please

Woolwell 18:27 23 Jul 14

Change the channel of the router.

SparkyJack 19:23 23 Jul 14

Thank you Wool well

Shall pass that on I hope she or partner can sortit between them 'otherwise I guess another vistit will be forthcoming .

It is a BT homehub2.

Secret-Squirrel 08:56 24 Jul 14

Jack, your friend's connected to the wrong wireless network. Get her to disconnect from the BT one, delete it from the saved wireless-networks list, then reconnect to her own router. On this occasion, changing the router's wireless channel won't help.

SparkyJack 09:09 24 Jul 14

SSqirrel. Dont't understand that one. When the list of nearby networks came up, the bthomehub and number as on the supplied card was selected. Then the wireless key for that router entered. If perchance the wrong network name was selected then then wireless key entered ,it would not have worked----would it?

Secret-Squirrel 10:03 24 Jul 14

"........When the list of nearby networks came up, the bthomehub and number as on the supplied card was selected. Then the wireless key for that router entered."

I see your point.

Can you find out, or can you remember, the name of the wireless network she's connected to? It'll be something like one of these: BTWiFi, BTWiFi-with-Fon, BTHub-XH67, BTHomeHub-TR89.

If you're sure that she's connected to the one that starts with "BTHub....." or "BTHomeHub...." then that is likely to be the correct network so perhaps someone's inadvertently changed the browser's homepage to BT Fon. Phone her up and talk her through checking and changing her homepage.

alanrwood 10:04 24 Jul 14

You may inadvertently have connected to the BTFon and selected "auto connect to this network". Delete it and follow the advice from SS above.

alanrwood 10:05 24 Jul 14

You may inadvertently have connected to the BTFon and selected "auto connect to this network". Delete it and follow the advice from SS above.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:05 24 Jul 14

reset your Hub to its factory default settings, removing all personal settings:

use a pin or paperclip to press and release the recessed Reset to Defaults button on the side of your Hub. All Hub lights will go out

Note: press for less than 15 seconds to reset all settings except the shared address book and Hub Phone registration; press for more than 15 seconds to reset all settings.

Woolwell 10:49 24 Jul 14

Having re-read the OP then follow SS's advice.

SparkyJack 11:28 24 Jul 14

Got all that,have also found a link on the BT homehub22 set up. Have passed call that on. Justcacwaitting game now.

Will I get that call?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…