Wireless Laptop Set up

keithlik 10:33 14 Mar 05

Having built PCs for yonks I am venturing into laptop world. Thinking of a Vaio of decent spec - I would like to connect to the Web without wires.
I am new to this and would appreciate basic advice. I will be waving goodbye to my desktop as I need the space.
Thanx

Magik ®© 10:45 14 Mar 05

with my two laptops i got a wireless adsl router from BT, two pcmia cards, one for each again from BT, the whole thing from start to finish was all done in less than 15 minutes, and it did not need you to set anything...apart from your login name and password..

FelixTCat 11:10 14 Mar 05

If you will only have the one laptop and no other computer, you do not need to go to the trouble of routers, etc. However you currently connect to the internet you can do exactly the same with your new laptop.

All laptops these days have USB2 ports and an ethernet port, as well as a telephone port. Therefore you can connect by dial-up or to broadband via a USB or ethernet modem.

However, if you wish to do it without wires, you will need a wireless modem router. I'm not aware of any that you can use for dial-up but some may exist - they are nearly all for broadband these days. In addition, you will need a wireless ethernet card for your laptop - again, many new laptops have them built-in. All laptops badged "Centrino" already have one. You can get a router and card for about £60.

keithlik 15:01 15 Mar 05

Many thanks -problem resolved
Appreciate help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…