Wireless laptop card running on windows 98se

g4uvj 07:18 06 Jun 06

Hi I have Wireless laptop card running on windows 98se
The wireless card is connecting to the router all ok but cannot make internet explorer connect to the router, can any one help on what I need to do next ..thanks

mgmcc 08:49 06 Jun 06

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

g4uvj 12:16 06 Jun 06

Hi ..yes I have done that ,it connects ok and is logged in to the router ok, but internet explorer and outlook express dont seem to be connected to the wireless connection

mgmcc 19:44 06 Jun 06

Open a Command Prompt window and run IPCONFIG /ALL

Then, right click in the DOS box and "Select All", then press Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard. Paste the results into a forum message here.

mgmcc 19:53 06 Jun 06

Ignore previous instruction to "Select All" and copy - it doesn't work in 98SE, it requires XP.

Can you post the detail relating to your Wireless Network Connection?

g4uvj 23:56 06 Jun 06

Hi yes the connection is IP Address 192.168.1.24
subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1
its a Belkin wireless Card thanks

mgmcc 07:30 07 Jun 06

OK, you've got a valid IP address. In Internet Explorer's menus, "Tools > Internet Options", click the Connections tab and ensure that you have selected "Never dial a connection". In the File menu, make sure that "Work Offline" isn't ticked. Outlook Express uses Internet Explorer's connection settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…