Wireless laptop.

micky d 11:20 06 Oct 08

Hi, i hope someone can help.

I am trying to set up a laptop(Dell) to connect to my existing wired connection on my desktop.
My Router is a Netgear DG834PN & i am using a Netgear adaptor (WPN111).
I have used the cd supplied with the adaptor but in network connections it's showing up as 'wireless network connection-not connected'.

I have previously used my PS3 wirelessly via my desktop with no problems but it was a while ago & i have forgotten how to set it up.

Also,on the laptop,it is asking for a network key & i've no idea what that is.

Both laptop & desktop are running XP.

A step by step guide would be more than useful.

mgmcc 12:56 06 Oct 08

Firstly, if you are connecting a Laptop "wirelessly" to a Netgear router for internet access, this has *NOTHING* to do with your desktop PC - it is totally independent of the PC which won't need to be running.

You need to "Connect" to the wireless network. In other words, run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

NETWORK KEY:
If a default WEP or WPA encryption key has been set up in the router's wireless security settings, there may be a note of the key in a label on the underside of the router.

Eric10 13:01 06 Oct 08

The wireless key is set in your router. Log onto the router by typing 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of your browser then enter the username and password. Look under "Wireless Settings" for the type of encryption used and the key.

tullie 20:10 06 Oct 08

Go wired first,set it up,then go wireless.

micky d 09:58 07 Oct 08

Thanks for all your answers.

I have router/modem all set up already. My problem seems to be that in 'Network connections' the wireless internet connection is showing up as not connected........in other words, a red cross between the double monitor icon & the wireless icon. When i right click on properties it shows that the device is working properly. So, how can/do i actually get it to connect?

micky d 10:49 07 Oct 08

The aforementioned icon which was showing up as not connected has now changed to 'limited or no connectivity' with a yellow exclamation mark where the red cross was.

The laptop is connected to the router/modem but is not connecting to the internet...........something to do with the IP address. Could be the gateway IP address as on the laptop under the 'dell wireless WLAN card utility' it says Gateway IP address: not available.

mgmcc 11:47 07 Oct 08

Did you follow the procedure in my earlier message for "Connecting" to the wireless network?

The "Limited or No Connectivity" indication is because the wireless adapter hasn't connected properly to the router to get its proper IP address which, with your router, will be a 192.168.0.x address. At the moment, Windows has defaulted to allocating an APIPA address (Automatic Private IP Addressing) in the "169.254" range which won't let you access the router or get online.

To check your IP address in the Network Connections folder click here

micky d 11:55 07 Oct 08

Ah, i see. Thankyou.

So, how do i go about changing the IP address........can it be done manually?

micky d 11:59 07 Oct 08

.....also, would it be the same adddress as my local area connection?

mgmcc 17:02 07 Oct 08

Although you can allocate fixed IP addresses, and there are occasions when it is beneficial, this is *NOT* the time to do it. At the moment your adapter is not connecting to the router so allocating a fixed IP address effectively hides the fact that there is a problem. It is essential that your WiFi adapter does connect properly to the router.

<<<< would it be the same address as my local area connection? >>>>

No. Each device in the network must have a unique IP address. The router's own address will be 192.168.0.1 and the other adapters, whether wired or wireless, will have an address between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254

All adapters will have the same Subnet Mask address of 255.255.255.0 and the Default Gateway address will be 192.168.0.1 (the *ROUTER'S* IP address).

What is actually happening when you try to "Connect" using the procedure above?

micky d 09:20 08 Oct 08

Hi mgmcc, thanks for your continual help.

IN network connections on my desktop it's showing 'wireless network connection-not connected'with a red cross but in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen the laptop icon is showing that 'netgear WPN111 is connected to netgear'.

On the laptop it is showing 'wireless network connection-limited or no connectivity' with a yellow exclamation mark. Also in the wireless connection status it is showing that it is connected but is still not allowing wireless internet connection. The page cannot be displayed.

Would it be easier for me to start again from scratch.......i.e. reset modem,etc.?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…