WIRELESS LAPTOP

swed 11:36 09 Dec 06

Can anyone help please, the signal strengh on my laptop is very low when trying to connect to the internet with my wireless laptop.
I have been connected but keep getting disconnected, is there anything i can but to boost my signal reception., many thanks

Diodorus Siculus 11:43 09 Dec 06

There could be a few reasons for this.

First off, go as close to the router as you can and see if the connection gets better. Or connect up when next to the router.

If no good, then it is likely to be a software issue. You may need new drivers.

Post back and someone may be able to offer some more help.

swed 11:48 09 Dec 06

Many thanks for your reply, I have tried this and it works ok, because of work access, its just the distance i am from the router, is there something i can attach to my laptop to give me a better reception

Kate B 12:58 09 Dec 06

Try changing the channel. Most wireless equipment defaults to channel 11 and if you're in a built-up area, that channel can get very busy.

swed 13:11 09 Dec 06

sorry, you have lost me on the channel bit, all i did was look for a network and connected to it,

Jimmy14 13:44 09 Dec 06

what make and model is the router

ed-0 14:27 09 Dec 06

"you have lost me on the channel bit, all i did was look for a network and connected to it,"

Is this a works setup?

To change a channel, you must have authority to enter the routers configuration setup.

If this is a works router, then it maybe worth asking those who look after the IT side of things, also you will probably find that you need specific passwords or codes to get into the setup.

Also, if it is a works router or another router. Have you got permission to use the network, did you not have to input a code to enter the network?

As far as signal strength goes for a laptop

you could change the router to a three ariel pre-n one for a better range of signal.

or

put in a repeater to boost the signa along

or

If the laptop has a built in WiFi chip to connect to the network, you could use a pre-n dongle that may get a better signal or the same in a PCMCIA cardbus type of connection.

swed 14:31 09 Dec 06

sorry, i have no idea, what it is, I have just started working in sweden, for the first two days i just switched my laptop, on managed to pick up a signal, but as the weather has got worse the signal is so weak i cant connect,it just says sinal very low, all im doing is latching on to someones broadband,dont know who's it is. excuse my ignorance on all this, a bit of a beginner

Diodorus Siculus 17:41 09 Dec 06

"all im doing is latching on to someones broadband"

That's illegal in the UK so be careful doing it in Sweeden...

ed-0 18:04 09 Dec 06

Sorry but you should not be using it.

As Diodorus Siculus said, it is illegal here and probably also in Sweden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…