Wireless Laptop

swanny2 16:54 03 Dec 06

Hi there.
My wifes bought a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo wireless laptop for xmas. for my Son.. I have a media pc desktop xp i would like too know is! how do i go about connecting his pc too mine.Im on Ntl Broadband via a set top box downstairs.He wants too be able too use the net as well. the laptops come with a Norton disc.Microsoft works(60 day trial) Win dvd 5.0 fsc (no idea what that is.)Nero 6.6.0,and Internet Security.Id like too be able too set all these up for him an on the internet for him for xmas day..
Any help appreciated thanks.

FreeCell 17:28 03 Dec 06

Setting up wireless network to allow sharing of internet click here

(You have a cable modem so avoid any adsl products which use a telephone line to connect to the internet)

swanny2 11:04 04 Dec 06

What would u suggest the most likely Router is too buy.ive no idea.
All im hoping for is a easy set up. :O)

FreeCell 12:33 04 Dec 06

Not a user of cable so others may have more practical experience. Given your desire for easy set-up I would look at something like a Zyxel.

click here

swanny2 23:21 05 Dec 06

ta mate looked at that , but says something about buying a pc card too thats atotal of nearly £100, im after a router but i didnt know it would cost all that much ,for me connect me sons Laptop too my desktop via a Broadband connection . ty anyway mate.
Swanny :O)

Strawballs 00:42 06 Dec 06

click here Any one of these will do but I have the Linksys WRT54G with NTL and have had it for about 20 months with 1 pc wired 1pc and 1 laptop wireless.

swanny2 09:32 06 Dec 06

cheers mate.
Do i need a card inserted into my pc,or do i just connect the modem cable into the router.Then configure it too work with the laptop.sorry for a daft Q. but i know nothing about this..

TonyM 09:33 06 Dec 06

A router is the best option, but you can do it very cheaply by buying a wireless adapter to put in your desktop machine - these can be a PCI card like this
click here
or can be a USB device, and cost about £10-15. You then share the internet conenction using the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) function of Windows. In practice you are then using your desktop PC as the "router" that the laptop connects to ...also known as an ad-hoc network.

Downside is that the desktop PC has to be switched on for the laptop to be able to access the net.

FreeCell 11:20 06 Dec 06

Swanny

No you don't need the PC card as your son's new laptop had a built in wireless. I suggested the Zyxel as it is easy to set up, but if you follow the instructions (or come back to the forum for help) then setting up a wireless network shouldn't be too difficult. (Hope they are not famous last words)

Ashrich 21:57 07 Dec 06

Swanny , the router connects to your PC via the ethernet cable provided with the router , modem cable connects to an ethernet port on the router so you have internet into the router then router to the PC , laptop then connects wirelessly .

Ashley

swanny2 18:49 12 Dec 06

ok cheers when i buy a router i will come back for help . cheers all . :O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…