Wireless keyboard and mouse use during startup?

Thurrafork 22:31 13 Dec 05

Hello all!
Probably a foolish question. My new system has a wireless keyboard and mouse - splendid. But it functions only within windows, so what if on startup there's a 'non-system disk' in the floppy drive requiring me to press any key; or more importantly I have to Tab or Delete my way into the setup page? How can this be done with a wireless keyboard/mouse, when at that stage they are not working?

GaT7 22:40 13 Dec 05

As far as I know, the only way round this is to hang on to your wired kb/mouse & keep it handy for situations like this. G

Thurrafork 22:45 13 Dec 05

Thanks Crossbow7. I once tried to start my new machine with my old wired keyboard and mouse and for some reason my monitor remained blank - the tower made all the usual startup noises but it was as if the plugging in of the old wired keyboard/mouse stopped the monitor signal. But that sounds ridiculous and I have not systematically checked that that was the cause. Ho hum.

GaT7 23:02 13 Dec 05

If the old wired kb/mouse has USB interface, you may need to enable USB support in the BIOS of the new machine.

I've had similar problems with my NTL USB cable modem - the PC hangs intermittently at the first bootup screen, but on disconnecting the modem & resetting it boots normally. G

Thurrafork 23:04 13 Dec 05

Nope it wasn't a usb connection it was... um... the other type. And the pc didn't seem to hang judging by the startup noises - it was just as if the monitor was disconnected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…