Wireless keyboard and mouse

lucky1 22:44 01 Feb 05

Can anyone advise me how I remove my 'old' conventional keyboard and mouse before installing a new wireless keyboard and mouse. It it just a case of switching the PC off and pulling out the connections from the back of the tower? Neither the 'old' k/board or mouse appear when selecting the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the desktop. Many thanks.

Jeffers22 22:48 01 Feb 05

Turn off and just unplug them. Plug in the new and reboot. If the mouse has any specific drivers and software (like logitech mouseware for example) uninstall it from Control Panel > Add/Remove programs.

PA28 22:49 01 Feb 05

In a nutshell - Yes. Turn your computer off before pulling out or pushing in PS2 connections

GORDAL 22:51 01 Feb 05

If your existing mouse and keyboard are PS2 devices you must not unplug them whilst the PC is on.

Suggest you go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, and uninstall the two devices there. At re-boot have your wireless kit connected and Windows should find it ok.

lucky1 22:52 01 Feb 05

PA28 and Jeffers22. Thanks for the quick responses.

lucky1 22:53 01 Feb 05

Thanks also.

alan227 22:53 01 Feb 05

You need to install the new keyboard & mouse first then go into device manager and select keyboard / double click to get properties / select driver / select uninstall.
Then do the same for the mouse.
To access device manager click start / right click my computer / click properties / click hardware / click device manager.

lucky1 22:57 01 Feb 05

alan227 - Thanks. Appreciated.

PA28 22:59 01 Feb 05

Up to you but I have run my computer with Microsoft boards, Belkin Cordless, an old Cherry, and my present Packard Bell wireless nad mouse. All run perfectly under the standard XP drivers and I've never troubled to uninstall/reinstall these, or install the specific drivers for each board. Even the (fairly standard) special keys have all worked as they should and only one device remains in Device Manager when viewed in safe mode. So don't worry - just unplug and plug and play the uninstall reinstall game only if you have a problem.

PS - this advice only applies to Mice and Keyboards. Not other peripherals!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…