Wireless just stops working?

Re-staw 17:16 28 Jul 09

I have a virgin modem running through a netgear wireless router and since day 1 ive had absolutely no trouble with it. It's been about 2 years now and all of a sudden whilst browsing on my laptop the connection is lost, i try to reconnect but it just wont have it.

It stays at "acquiring network address" for some time before just moving on to the next preferred signal.

Downstairs on the main PC the internet works perfectly fine, all lights are flashing as normal and the Netgear router is giving out a signal but for some reason mine or my brothers laptops are able to connect to it anymore.

I have tried pressing the little button on the back of the router to reset it completely and still the problem persists. Any ideas?

birdface 17:23 28 Jul 09

Not sure about pressing the little button on the back does that not reset the Router.Does that not mean that you have to run the disc that came with it and put in new password etc.

Re-staw 17:29 28 Jul 09

Nope it was actually really simple i remember from the first time i set it up aswell it just runs its own configuration and your online within minutes.

I can go into the routers configuration by going to "192.168.1.1" but i never had to mess about with this before.

birdface 17:35 28 Jul 09

Have you tried switching the modem and the router off for 2 minutes then turn the modem on wait for a minute and then turn the router back on.

birdface 17:37 28 Jul 09

Just noticed you are with Virgin.Did you check that all the correct lights were on on the modem.They have a bad habit of doing repairs without telling anyone.

Re-staw 17:48 28 Jul 09

Yes they are all flashing, and the main PC has internet so the problem is just with the Netgear router providing it wirelessly.

birdface 18:02 28 Jul 09

Maybe have a look in Networking to see if you can get any tips.I am not that clued up in routers so maybe better waiting for some proper advice.

Re-staw 18:12 28 Jul 09

Okay well thanks for your time anyway mate.

Dazza40 19:15 28 Jul 09

I don't know if this helps but my wireless has been playing up in a similar way.
To resolve mine i did this
Start>connect to>then right click on wireless connection to get to it's properties. From there wireless network tab, click on your connection in preferred networks then click properties. In the drop down for data encryption i changed to TKIP from AES and the laptop connected immediately.

Not sure why this changed though?

Cheers

Re-staw 16:55 30 Jul 09

Thanks for your reply.

I followed your steps and found that it was already set to TKIP, i did however change it to AES and attempted to re-connect but still gets stuck at acquiring network address. When i went to change back to TKIP i found that it had automatically been changed.

Any other ideas please?

>> Just to recapp

I am using my PC which is connected to the net via a modem. The modem has ENET, SYNC and RDY lights lit up as well the the PWR light.

The modem connects via ethernet to a Netgear (54 Mbps Wireless router WGR614 v6) - Whilst i turned the router upside down to read the model my laptop connected! After 3 minutes it disconnected again so im guessing this is a hardware fault.

Re-staw 16:55 30 Jul 09

Thanks for your reply.

I followed your steps and found that it was already set to TKIP, i did however change it to AES and attempted to re-connect but still gets stuck at acquiring network address. When i went to change back to TKIP i found that it had automatically been changed.

Any other ideas please?

>> Just to recapp

I am using my PC which is connected to the net via a modem. The modem has ENET, SYNC and RDY lights lit up as well the the PWR light.

The modem connects via ethernet to a Netgear (54 Mbps Wireless router WGR614 v6) - Whilst i turned the router upside down to read the model my laptop connected! After 3 minutes it disconnected again so im guessing this is a hardware fault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…