Wireless issues after clean install of XP

speedbird_zero1 14:35 10 Oct 09

Afternoon all, a new HDD has been fitted to a laptop after the old one went broken (granddaughter fell on it) bought a legit copy of XP and installed. After a bit of messing with drivers and such all is ok with one exception: getting on the internet wirelessly. It will connect via NIC and ethernet cable to the web, it will connect to the router and home network even able to print to remote printer with it wirelessly, file sharing even works, It just will not connect to the net without wires!

Am I dreaming or have i seen somewhere a tick box saying something like "connect to internet via NIC only" or have i been dreaming? It is a long time since i messed with an XP machine as I use Mac so am a bit rusty.

Any ideas please.
Mike

BurrWalnut 19:59 10 Oct 09

Have you tried these?

1. Right-click the wireless icon in the Notification Area > Status > General Tab > Properties at the bottom, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and double-click it. In the General Tab put dots in ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’ and in ‘Obtain DNS server address automatically’. OK, etc. Now go to a Run window (Windows key+R), type netsh winsock reset (note the two spaces) and press Enter. Shut down the computer.

2. Switch off and unplug the computer/router/modem. Wait five minutes, plug it the router/modem and when the lights stabilise, start the computer.

speedbird_zero1 23:51 10 Oct 09

Thanks for that, however it is now sorted. I plugged in a PCMCIA card in the slot and all worked corectly. I then removed the drivers for the NIC and found some more to install,and it worked without issue. Seems like the first driver was dodgy maybe?
Thanks again BurrWalnut

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…